Hutchinson Central Technical High School
Course Name: Physics Lab
Instructor: Mr. Mayle Contact Time: 11:12-11:53 or 11:42-12:23 Phone Ext: 1404
Students who DO NOT have completed labs AND 1200 minutes of seat time in class will NOT be allowed to take the Physics exam!
Grade: Your grade will consist of assignments (H.W., class work, tests, and quizzes (75%)) and performance(see course outline(25%)).
Students who do not finish labs in class are responsible for making them up during studyhalls, 7:20 a.m. or for homework.
There will not be tests in lab.
There will not be quizzes in lab.
Class Expectations for Mr. Mayle
Welcome to Mr. Mayle’s Science class! I expect great things this year. In order for us to achieve greatness there are a few procedures and expectations that you should be aware of to make sure that you are successful.
1. Attendance: In order to be successful in ANY classroom you must be in attendance. This is especially true for my class because I do a lot of hands-on activities that really can’t be made up at home. For my class there will be an attendance policy. I understand that emergencies and/or illnesses come up, so the policy for my class is that you may miss 3 classes a marking period with no penalty, after that for each day missed you will be penalized ½ a point off your final average for the marking period.
2. Performance: Being in class is very important, but equally important is being on task doing what you should be doing while in the classroom. Each day you will be graded on how well you performed in class. This daily performance grade will be averaged into your final grade. The easiest way to look at this is that this is an EASY way to maintain a respectable average.
3. Rules: To perform successfully and safely in a science classroom a few rules need to be established. Most of these rules reiterate rules set up by the school district while others are put in place out of respect and safety.
I. NO EATING—Period! This is a Science classroom where chemicals and other materials that can be harmful to your health are used so eating is prohibited!
II. No Electronics—cell phones, headphones, iPods, MP3 players, etc. I will take them!!
III. No Swearing—be respectful to me and to each other, I don’t use that language in front of you so I don’t want to hear it!
IV. What I say goes! I’m the adult, you’re the student. I am very fair and reasonable if I ask or tell you to do something, I expect you to do it!
V. There will be other rules but these are the major ones, follow them and be respectful and you will see that I am respectful to you too!
4. Preparation: You need to be prepared on a daily basis; this includes pen/pencil, paper, handouts from previous lessons, and homework. If you don’t have the right tools you can’t be successful.
5. Late: If you are late and you don’t have a pass, you will lose your performance points for the day (see above)! Late means the bell rings and you are outside the door one step or two floors you are LATE! If your tardiness becomes chronic than further actions will be taken such as write-ups, phone calls home, and deduction of points off your final average.
6. Grade: Your grade will consist of assignments (H.W., class work, tests, and quizzes (75%)) and performance(see above(25%)).