During the war years there were afternoon and night courses at Tech in the National Defense Training Program, administered by Mr. Calvin Bishop... Among the graduates was William Caldwell '42 who became a prominent builder in Western New York.
Mr. C. Gordon Ryther became Acting Principal... Mr. Dry had left to become the first President of Erie County Technical Institute, on Elmwood Avenue, now Erie Community College... At the end of the year, Dr. Martin H. Kuehn was appointed principal.
The 50th Anniversary Year saw a move from the building at Bennett Park to the present downtown location at Elmwood and Chippewa Streets… The academic high school there had closed for a year in order to Central’s students marched in 1914 to the former homestead of Edward Hutchinson, the school was named Hutchinson Central… Thus Tech assumed a major place in the line of Buffalo’s educational history when it now took the name Hutchinson Central Technical High School.
An Explorer Boy Scout Program was well received, especially since it involved trips to marine and naval air stations… Among the graduates was Leslie Foschio ‘58
Cyril Gordon Ryther ’08 having reached his 70th birthday retired in June after serving Tech for almost fifty years… To those of us who love our school, he will always be “Mr. Tech.”
Ernest Zeferjahn became the new principal, Dr. Kuehn having died the previous May… Mr. William Block became the acting assistant principal…Anthony D. Vetrano joined the faculty as a guidance counselor… The Dr. Martin H. Kuehn Chapter of the national Honor Society was organized here for students for superior scholastic ability with Miss. C. Doris Benham as advisor.
Mr. J. Russell guest became the new assistant principal.
An impressive new comer to Tech was the IBM Digital Computer, first used for advanced mathematics courses and then used as the basis of two new courses of study: Computer Electronics and Computer