1901-1905 First Year
Mechanic Arts High School began on the second floor of Grammar School 11 on Elm Street near Clinton on September 14, 1904...There were 64 boys and the faculty consisted of four teachers and Principal Upton who also taught ... A teacher of drawing at Old Central High School, Daniel Upton was a graduate of previous two years he had been teaching manual training in two rooms at School 11 to enthusiastic older students after school hours and on Saturdays... There were already were already three academics high schools in Buffalo: Old Central, Masten Park and Lafayette... The new high school was not to be for trades' training but for "a technical education, which deals more with sciences, laboratories, and drawing rooms than does vocational education."... By January 88 students were present and a Forge Shop teacher was added... The school colors of maroon and white were chosen... In May an Athletic association was formed to stimulate participation in sports after school... In June an exhibition of work was held for an admiring public who brought useful items in a sale which became an annual event for years... Of the eleven students who placed on the Honor Roll both terms, one was C. Gordon Ryther with 93.4 and 93.6.
1905-1906 Second Year
143 boys and 2 girls had nine teachers... Upon the suggestions of Mr. Upton, the name of the school was changed to the Buffalo Technical High School, one of the three in New York State... In addition to regular and Architectural Drawing, Machine Design, Forging, Joinery, Pattern making, Electrical Shop, and Wood Turning... The school banner was designed with a white "T" on a maroon triangle field ... In December 1905; the school was officially recognized and credited by New York State Board of Regents... That month an Athletic letter assembly, held in a large room, concluded with a new song "Come Sing The Praises Of Dear tech" written by freshmen, Ralph P. Hingston '09 and set to the tune of "Auld Lang Syne." The song soon became our Alma Mater and years later a music teacher of the twenties, Mr. Anthony Raszeja, would write the music for it which we know today... An evening school was begun for adults and became very popular.
Third Year… Among the thirteen faculty was Author Hurrell who would build the science and sports programs... 225 students had a choice of three courses: A. engineering college preparatory; B. a combination of skills for science and industry along with cultural subjects; C. either architectural or mechanical technology with cultural subjects... Four girls were admitted as regular daytime students... Even though Tech had the entire building now, it was rapidly becoming crowded and so Superintendent Henry Emerson urged the city to build a better structure ... In December the Techtonian appeared with Irving Sudrow '07 as Editor in Chief and C. Gordon Ryther '08 as Associate Editor... There would be four issues a year usually at ten cents a copy ... An excellent magazine of ninety pages, remarkable for its first year with numerous stories, photographs and ads, it sets the standards for student literary efforts for years to come... The commencement issue cost twenty-five cents... Miss Rachel Marks who also advised the Techtonian and little orchestra directed the first play, “The Burglars” was directed by Miss Rachel Marks who also advised the Techtonain and the little orchestra ... The first Class Day was held June 14 and the first commencement exercises on June 24, 1907. Nine boys received diplomas at the Central Y.M.C.A.
Fourth Year… Seven students compromising the orchestra, practiced weekly under the direction of Mr. Miles Goldberg… The Debating Society was organized with 32 members… C. Gordon Ryther ‘08 was Editor in Chief of the techtonian as well as Class Valedictorian… The second annual commencement was actually the first full graduation class of the new school 1904-1908… On June 22 nine boys and two girls graduated. Jesse Ketchum Medals were awarded to Cyril Gordon Ryther and E. Campbell Skilling… for the best work done over the last four years, the Chamber of Commerce gave a prize of $100 to Cyril Gordon Ryther.
Due to crowding, no girls would be admitted until the new school was built… On March 9, 1909 Principal Upton Founded an honorary fraternity, Kappa Sigma Phi, for Tech boys of high Scholarship, fine character and good fellowship who would combine efforts to benefit their school. Among the members of the first year were Henry E. Wilkie ’10 Raymond C. Voght ’09 and R. Peter Krull ’10… Members could wear a bronze watch fob with Greek letters on it … In July Daniel S. Upton became the new principal for the State Normal School in Buffalo (Buffalo State College)..
Principal Author S. Hurrell continued to press for a new building to be designed along guidelines suggested by Mr. Upton ...Mr. Goldberg counted his orchestra: ten violins, one coronet, and one flute… Tech’s Debate Team won the Williams College Cup for high school debate.
The first earth was turned on April 15, 1912 for the new Technical High School on the Bennett Park site at the corner of Cedar and Clinton Streets.
From a facility of five, eight years before, the staff now numbered twenty-five, including Charles J.Costello, David H. Childs, Calvin C. Bishop and Richard R. Dry… November 14, 1912 was the date for the laying of the cornerstone… Many dignitaries of the state and city attended.
The students Handbook gave this advice to freshmen, “Business and Industry demand punctuality; so does Tech.” … On April 20, 1914 the faculty and 672 boys marched to their new building… They saw their school motto above the three front doors: Skill, Knowledge, Power which are still there today… Just inside were two new experiences for them, an auditorium and a library.
When school began on September 8, there were 1009 students-863 boys and 146 girls. There would be special technical courses for girls until 1938. Among the new teachers were C. Gordon Ryther ’08 E. Florence Kimmins, Louis Bleich ’07, Eugene Hofmeister and Robert l. Strunk… The evening school attracted fifteen hundred men and women… Athletics received a tremendous boost with interest in football, cross-country, track, basketball, tennis, baseball and swimming.
Mr. David Hope Childs became the new principal as Mr. Hurrell resigned to become Assistant Superintendent of schools in Indianapolis…Charles Costello took over as our assistant principal… A new gym teacher was Mr. Albert Haas... At a musicale in the Auditorium on November 24, 1916 the music teacher, Mr. Kenneth Walsh, permitted Norman Vester '18 to play a trombone solo… Among the graduates that year was Carl Munn.
The war came to Tech and forty-five were listed away in service along with several teachers as Albert Haas, William Roecker and C. Cordon Ryther... Students were urged to live up to the Tech equation of Knowledge plus Skill equals Power. And Buy Liberty Bonds… A Technical Cadet Corps was busy drilling… Eugene Boller graduated with Norman Vester and later they both returned to Tech to teach for many years.
There were seven courses of study for boys and five for girls… The Liberty Loan campaign continued with a total worth of war bonds being sold as $81,350…Teachers returned from service.
The curriculum was being revised… In June a remarkable student graduated; he was Earl McGrath who since has specialized in areas of higher education. Among his numerous credits is the fact that he has been a United States Commissioner of Education.